Monday, September 8, 2014

Time has been flying by here. As of yesterday I have been here for 7 weeks already! The strangest thing is that even though I have been doing all kinds of things lately and having lots of busy days, I'm finding it hard to decide what to blog about. The thing is, my life here has begun to feel so normal and routine that I don't think of the things I do everyday as interesting or blog-worthy. Anyways I thought I would just give a quick update on some of the things I've been up too!
I joined a gym with a couple of my friends and it's lead to a lot of sweating and a lot of laughs. We usually take classes such as Zumba or trampoline aerobics which are a lot of fun but we are constantly laughing at ourselves being that we are always the only people in the class who don't know the choreography. I have also begun taking portuguese classes at a University in the neighboring city. The class is free and organized by Rotary for all of the exchange students in the region. I have only had one class so far and honestly was a little disappointed-- we spent the whole 2 hours going over how to greet someone/ introduce yourself in portuguese which was a little overkill for me seeing as I've been living here for almost 2 months. However, it was worth it to go just to meet the other exchange students in the area because I'm the only Rotary student in my city! Speaking of Rotary, I have my orientation this weekend! I will be taking a bus to a city about 2 hours away and staying at a resort with the other exchange students in my district (About 50-60 of us). Yesterday was Independence Day here in Brazil which they commemorate with a parade. I actually had to be in the parade twice, with my school and with Rotary. It was a pretty gray morning and drizzling but at least it wasn't burning hot! The parade was a lot like the ones at home only with less big floats and candy and more horses and patriotic things. They also hold competitions and tournaments between all of the high schools in my town the week leading up to Independence day, so I went almost every day this week with my classmates to watch my schools teams in the soccer tournament. How great it is to live in a country that truly appreciates and is passionate about soccer!!! :)
Mostly I've just been spending a lot of time with friends and family and keeping busy with classes, volunteering, and what ever else comes up!
I will try to blog again soon! :)
Here are a few pictures of what I've been up to:
  Volunteering
My Brazilian parents <3


 The lake that my host family built (yes, you read that right!) for fishing in. 




In the parade

"Going out with the girls"


No comments:

Post a Comment